Greenville (Ward A)
At its core, Greenville is a mostly residential neighborhood that lies at the southernmost border of Jersey City. Though often forgotten, this Jersey City neighborhood is brimming with significant historical details and landmarks. Home to both the Afro-American Historical and Cultural Society Museum at the Greenville Branch of the Jersey City Public Library and NJCU (New Jersey City University), Greenville has a lot to offer the city and its residents.
Greenville was formerly a territory of Hackensack and Raritan Indians, and was referred to as “Minkakwa” meaning a “place of good crossing.” The area was later settled by the New Netherlanders in 1647 by a very small population, with one or two farmsteads along the shoreline. With approval from the New Jersey Legislature, the independent Township of Greenville was created on March 18, 1863. However, in 1873, the township held a referendum to merge with Jersey City as a multitude of issues prompted voters to forfeit autonomy.
It was primarily built up during the beginning of the twentieth century by young working class families and many within the Jewish & Irish community during the rise of railroad development in the area. In the latter half of the twentieth century Greenville’s African-American population boomed as southerns seeking to avoid Jim Crow Laws looked for better area to establish communities and jobs. It’s considered a relatively affordable neighborhood and has a home-y feel with plenty of shops and food establishments.
The neighborhoods in Greenville are Curries Woods and Port Liberte.