Support Jersey City: Donate to Those in Need
With COVID-19 quarantines and social distancing in its second week with no end in sight, it’s easy to begin to feel powerless. One thing you can control, however, is how you choose to help the people and businesses you care about in Jersey City. As part of our #OutbreakOfKindness initiative, we’ve compiled a list of over 50 great local options to donate to that directly help those in our community who are struggling the most to make ends meet because of an unexpected lay-off or closure, don’t have access to nutritious meal options, or need a safe place with supplies to wait out the crisis.
Organizations in Need of Essential Donations
Instead of going to the store to stock up on toilet paper for yourself, consider buying a few extra paper towels, wipes, and diapers for relief organizations like these:
- Family Promise, a nonprofit whose mission is to help homeless and low-income families sustain their independence, is asking for donations for its Jersey City location to aid in the spike of homelessness resulting from COVID-19.
- Jersey City Medical Center is accepting donations to support the healthcare workers and those who are need of supplies.
- The Hope House, an emergency shelter for women and children, needs hand sanitizers, wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, diapers for children and other everyday essentials.
- St. Lucy’s Emergency Shelter, an emergency shelter providing food, clothing, and housing for single men and women, needs supplies like wipes, paper towels, toilet paper and hand sanitizers.
- Salvation Army is accepting donations for its three locations in Jersey City: Bergen-Lafayette, McGinley Square, and Newport.
- WomenRising, is a non-profit organization that supports women and their families to live self-sufficient, productive and fulfilling lives. They are only accepting disinfectant wipes as in-kind donations. Please email email@example.com if you have any to donate.
Volunteer for and Donate Food to Grocery and Meal Services
Those of us in the community who are unable to leave their homes to shop or cook for themselves are the most vulnerable now, and need our help to stay healthy, full, and safe:
- AngelaCares, a nonprofit dedicated to serving as an advocate for senior citizens and caregivers, is accepting donations for groceries and volunteers to put together bags for seniors.
- Invisible Hands, a service newly created by a group of young people specifically to help the Greater New York City area during the Covid-19 crisis, orders and delivers food and supplies for the elderly and immunocompromised in Jersey City and New York City. The site features an easy-to-follow form with spaces to add what the requester needs, if they have a store preference, and how they want to pay for the items (the delivery is free).
- Meals on Wheels, organized through the City of Jersey City, is available for low-cost, nutritious meals to be delivered to Jersey City residents who are over 60 years old and homebound. Visit their website for restrictions and how to sign up.
- Whealth Kitchen is donating two meals to those in need for every meal plan they sell. You also have the options to add “for donation” to the allergy comment box during checkout to have your order given to a family in need instead. They are also looking for volunteers – email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your name added to the list.
View this post on Instagram
Support Local GoFundMe Campaigns
Social isolation and the statewide mandate for all “non-essential” businesses to close or switch to a pickup-only model has put a ton of people unemployed for an undetermined amount of time. We scoured GoFundMe to find every live campaign (at time of publication) raising money for the struggling staff of restaurants, pet services, retail, and more in Jersey City to make it easy for you to donate to some great local people and places:
- Chicpea JC and Premiere Vibes raising money for taking care of the needs of local hospital workers, first responders, homeless, etc.
- Caribbean Community Creating Change nonprofit is raising money for basic necessities for those specifically affected within the Caribbean community.
- Hudson County Hunger Project is raising money to make and deliver meals to vulnerable citizens in Hudson County.
- Team Greylayers is raising money to cover first missed paychecks of anyone in need in Jersey City.
- The TongYan School is raising money to purchase face masks, gloves, and other protective equipment for local hospitals.
Restaurants, Food, Bars:
- Bluestone Lane
- Cafe Madelaine
- Chofi Taqueria
- Corkscrew Bar
- Ed & Mary’s
- Fire & Oak
- Fox & Crow
- Greene Hook Bar & Kitchen
- Hard Grove
- Harry’s Daughter
- The Hutton Bar & Grill
- The Kitchen Step
- Liberty Prime Steakhouse
- Light Horse Tavern
- Lucky 7 Tavern
- Mathews Food and Drink
- O’Lala Empanadas
- Pet Shop
- Porta + www.smithrelief.fund for additional locations offering fun ways to donate, including coloring pages for $5
- South House
- White Eagle Hall
- White Star Bar
Don’t see a business you want to donate to? Many are asking for donations directly through PayPal or from gift card purchases found on their websites and social media pages, as well as offering specials for take-out items and delivery.
We’re all in this together. Help us spread the word and find more fundraisers and places in need of our support in Jersey City by using #OutbreakOfKindness or tagging @everythingjerseycity on Instagram for sharing.